Thursday, March 01, 2007

Types of intelligence

I did that on-line quiz about types of intelligence. Although it overstated my strenghts, I think it did get the right category. I went back and put my son's attributes in the quiz. Again, I think it pegged him right on.

About 15 years ago, I attended an education conference where I first learned about the theory of multiple intelligences. I think there are about 8 categories. I wish I could remember either the name of the book or the author. This was a revelation to me. Even though my exposure to the theory was limited, it made it easier for me to understand the strengths and weaknesses of several people in my extended family. I was able to appreciate certain people for a high level of intelligence in certain areas that I am lacking. And I could more easily see that certain people had a weakness that they couldn't help.

This expanded my appreciation of people way beyond the types of intelligence that are rewarded by schools. And it would be good if schools could also reward students for their strengths and achievements in areas beyond test taking. It made me realize the value of school sports and other extra cirricular activities, for example.

When I plugged my son into the quiz, he scored highest in interpersonal relationships. Since he was about 5 years old, I've thought that his strength in that area is about the highest of anyone I've ever met. Obviously, he was born with that strength. When he was in school, he was no natural scholar, although he is smart. I would constantly remind him of what he could do that others couldn't do at all.

Sometimes we take our strengths for granted. Other times our strengths are something that is ignored by the school system, so we also overlook them.

If we are made in God's image, then all these traits come from God. Praise God for all these blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what do you think?