Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Will There Now be (more) Prejudice?

I was talking on the phone this morning to a loved one who is from South Korea. I asked him if he had heard about the shooting in Virginia. He said yes and clicked on CNN on the 'net. Oh, he said. The shooter is from South Korea. Now that will make it bad for the rest of us.

Whenever there is labeling, there is a sense of WE/THEY. And the WE are, somehow, "above" the THEY.

That is why, as disgusting as the words were that came out of Imus' mouth, his chortling after using the words was even more disturbing to me. I don't follow Imus. I fail to understand how that sort of thing can ever be labeled (an attempt at) humor, except, perhaps, in a junior high locker room.

My husband has always made it clear to those in our family that so-called humor that is down-putting to another person is never acceptable in our home. Yes we slip up, but that is the ideal.

The media asked, regarding the Imus situation, why it took so long for people to respond. I think it is because sensitive people don't usually listen to that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what do you think?