Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday Church Choice

I'm away from home again, in another state. Today is Ash Wednesday. I've always been very "into" Lenten mid week worship services and the whole idea of preparing spiritually for Easter by trying to remember the sacrifice that Jesus made for us, for me.

I've skipped church the Sundays I've been here in the past 8 months. That is partly due to laziness and partly due to a question of what time the Sunday services are. The churches that I could go to don't have that in the paper or phone book. Yes, I know I could call. The churches in my denomination are more than 10 miles away, so that is part of the problem. Also, I would have to attend alone.

But Ash Wednesday....I really want to attend this evening. Quite frankly, I would like to make sure that if I do go, I can take communion. What I don't know is if it is true that a person could be turned away from communion. There are two churches that are close, but I know that their denomination practices "close communion." I don't want to push this issue or go to church with some kind of emotional baggage about this.

So I have about 10 hours to decide what to do.

This makes me realize how and why people of faith can fall away from church attendance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what do you think?