Thursday, May 10, 2007

Woman at the Well

I thought of setting up my camera to show me next to the new well, but a new well is actually a pretty boring thing. Hey, good pun.

But here is what it looks like to be in the process of getting a new well.A friend of mine has traveled all over the world. I asked him why it is that the settlers came to this country 100, 150, 200 or a few more years ago and did so well, progressed so much, etc. yet in other countries, where in some cases, the same peoples have lived for ages, they have so much poverty and bad living conditions. He thought that there are two main reasons. First, he said, good water is available in so many places in the US. And secondly, because much of the US is far enough north, we don't have the parasites that some places have.

We may be inclined to take our clean ways of living for granted. I know that it will be a long time before I take running water and a good sewer system for granted. Doing without for three months is a mighty lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what do you think?