The RevGalBlogPals had the Friday Five last week on summer camp. I’m not a member of the group, but reading the entries sparked a lot of memories for me, so I thought I’d join the camping fun.
1. Did you go to sleep away camp, or day camp, as a child? Wish you could? Or sometimes wish you hadn't?
I attended Camp Mt Morris, a Lutheran Camp, in
I attended Lutherdale in
2. How about camping out? Dream vacation, nightmare, or somewhere in between?
Our family never camped out when I was a kid, but I remember trying to sleep out in my friend’s backyard, and it was so scary. But my husband and I and our kids have camped out in various US Forest Service campgrounds, State parks, and especially in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness a number of times. We've camped at Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier, and Olympia national park way back in BC (before children,) but also at the Grand Tetons with the whole family. These are great memories. Since we’ve been (somewhat) empty-nesters, my husband and I have been visiting Minnesota State Parks and camping in a tent or sleeping in the back of our van. I’m no longer thrilled about having to crawl out of a tent to attend to the call of nature.
3. Have you ever worked as a camp counselor, or been to a camp for your denomination for either work or pleasure?
I thought about being a camp counselor, but I realized that I don’t have the right chipper personality for that. I was on the personal committee for
4. Most dramatic memory of camp, or camping out?
Two interesting memories: 1) Camping on
5. What is your favorite camp song or songs? Bonus points if you link to a recording or video.
Too many to think about; too slow internet to find links.