Thursday, July 03, 2008

McCain agreed with me

After 9-11, the President made an effort to fight terrorism (or War on Terror, an odd phrase) in various parts of the world. There is plenty to debate about the way we did that, the places, the resources we put into it, and the effects, both good and bad, on peace loving people around the world, as well how "successful" we have been in this effort. The point of this post is NOT that debate. And the point of this post is not to state my voting preference.

After 9-11 the President wanted us to go on with our daily lives so that the terrorists wouldn't win the psychological battle. He had a point. Were we to curl up and die, the terrorists would have won, even if all of them had died in the airplanes. At that time, however, I thought and said that I would have more respect for the President's efforts if he had also asked the American people to sacrifice. If this war on terror is so important, then let's sacrifice, let's pay more taxes now, for example. Instead, our "boys" (and young women) are sacrificing. We have been, at least until recently, living high on the hog, with the rich getting even richer, and meanwhile, we've been running up a considerable national debt. Let our grandchildren pay this debt, is the true message.

Yesterday I heard a sound bit of Sen. McCain saying, "I think after 9/11 we made a mistake," McCain said. "I think after 9/11, instead of telling Americans to take a trip or go shopping, I think we had an opportunity to call Americans to serve."

Link to article about both candidates on service.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally with you on this! Anna Quindlen had a great article about it some years ago. She said maybe 9/11 should become a national day of service.

    but is McCain going to ask us to sacrifice now? that's what I want to know.

    ReplyDelete

And what do you think?