Friday, August 08, 2008

Friday Five - God Days of Summer

Friday Five - God Days of Summer

From the RevGalPals (of which I’m not a member):

It’s August. An oppressively hot and humid month where many of us live.


I remember the Al Pacino movie though not much about the plot. Just that it was very, very hot. And he had giant sweat stains on his shirt.

As I pass through this year’s dog days in my felon ridden neighborhood (OK, just two housefuls. But isn’t that enough?), I am trying to focus on the blessings apparent around me, past and present, that I might not notice, necessarily. In that spirit, this week’s Friday Five goes thusly:


1. What is your sweetest summer memory from childhood? Did it involve watermelon or hand cranked ice cream? Or perhaps a teen summer romance. Which stands out for you? Summer weeks with my cousin at “the cottage” which was one block from Lake Michigan. It doesn’t get really hot there, but we still had the lake to go to and play on the beach. Also “up north” in Wisconsin at some small lakes, with the scent of sun on the pine trees and the wind tinkling the aspen leaves.

2. Describe your all time favorite piece of summer clothing. The one thing you could put on in the summer that would seem to insure a cooler, more excellent day. I always wanted a muumuu when I was a child, but it wasn’t all that great when I finally got one. I had a swimsuit when I was about 21 that was the best. The top was a cotton bandana print and the bottom was denim shorts with a bandana fabric sash. And, of course, I was skinny then.

3. What summer food fills your mouth with delight and whose flavor stays happily with you long after eaten? Probably the best things are fresh summer vegetables: sweet corn, green beans, garden lettuce. And how about homemade grape juice popsicles from which one could suck the delicious juice, leaving only the ice.

4. Tell us about the summer vacation or holiday that holds your dearest memory. Well, see #1, but besides that, there is Holden Village and two visits to Sky Ranch Lutheran Camp in Colorado. And there's camping with our kids on Emerald Lake (and other lakes) with our kids (BWCAW & Quetico). Delicious memories!

5. Have you had any experience(s) this summer that has drawn you closer to God or perhaps shown you His wonder in a new way?
I’d say that some friendships with great people from my church has been my best summer blessing this year.

Bonus question: When it is really hot, humid and uncomfortable, what do you do to refresh and renew body and spirit
? I am blessed to live where people don’t really know what it is like to be hot, humid, and uncomfortable. But the best thing on a hot day is a dip in a lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what do you think?